This great recipe is brought to you from:
- Makes: 6 servings
- Start to Finish 45 mins
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or one 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn (2 cups)
- 1 14 – ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 12 – ounce package frozen shelled sweet soybeans (edamame), one 10-ounce package frozen baby sweet peas
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh marjoram or oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1 14 3/4 – ounce can no-salt-added cream-style corn
- 1 cup cubed lean cooked ham or cooked turkey ham
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh marjoram or oregano sprigs (optional)
- In a large saucepan bring fresh or frozen corn, broth, edamame, onion, the 2 teaspoons fresh or 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, salt and white pepper to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until corn and onion are tender. Stir in undrained cream-style corn, ham, milk and Worcestershire sauce. Heat through.
- If desired, garnish each serving with a fresh marjoram sprig. Makes 6 (1-1/3-cup) main-dish servings.
- Tuna Corn Chowder: Prepare as directed above except; omit ham. Stir in one 6-ounce can tuna, drained and broken into chunks, with cream-style corn.
- Clam Corn Chowder: Prepare as directed above except; omit ham. Stir in one 6.5-ounce can minced clams, undrained, with cream-style corn.
- Crab Corn Chowder: Prepare as directed above except; omit ham. Stir in one 6-ounce can crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed, with cream-style corn.